Higher Education Scholarships and Grants
Scholarships and grants are a great way to pay for a college education, because it is financial aid you are not expected to pay back. Take time to research and apply for scholarships and grants, as this financial aid might pay a large portion or all of your college expenses.
- Awarded to students based on specific criteria in a certain discipline.
- Awarded for a variety of reasons – from academic excellence to talent.
- Typically awarded through organizations, clubs, corporations or states.
- Most colleges will consider an individual for a college-sponsored scholarship when the student applies to attend, and the school will notify the individual if eligible.
- Some colleges do not automatically consider students for scholarships, so research and apply for as many scholarships as possible.
- Awarded based on financial need.
- Formulas are used by federal and state governments and sometimes, the college, to determine if the student is eligible for grant assistance.
- Apply for state and federal grants by completing FAFSA.
When researching for scholarships & grants:
- Check with your high school counselor or financial aid officer for a list of scholarships and grants that you can apply for.
- Research scholarship opportunities in your community through clubs, religious organizations or local businesses.
- Search online. When searching online, be cautious of online scams. Make sure to search only reputable sites, such as studentscholarshipsearch.com. This site provides a free and daily updated database of college scholarships and grants, with no registration required.
The opinions voiced in this material are for general information only and are not intended to provide specific advice or recommendations for any individual.