The New Year brings great opportunity for change! And what better place to make some changes than in your home. Check out these New Year’s resolution tips to enhance your life at home this year:
1. Find Contentment in the Things You Already Have
Much of the environment around us is based on having more. But instead of focusing on the things you don’t have this year, focus and appreciate the things you do have! At the end of the day, the purpose of your home is to provide you with shelter and be a place where memories are made. Treasure the moments with family and friends, be okay with the “character” of your home, and look for opportunities to share the things you have with others.
2. Purge and Donate Unused Items
Throughout the year, we naturally accumulate more things. The new year is the perfect time to go through your items to determine what needs to stay and what needs to go. Consider donating unwanted items to a local charity, as the item might end up being another’s treasure! Through purging and streamlining your things, you will find great satisfaction in an organized home.
3. Keep Your Home Safe and Secure
Your home is your safe shelter! Be sure to inspect your home to ensure all your safety devices are working appropriately. This includes smoke detectors, carbon-dioxide detectors and your home’s alarm system. Practice good safety habits such as cleaning out the dryer lint on a regular basis and unplugging electronics when not at home.
4. Be a Proactive Cleaner
We all dread “cleaning day”; the day we spend all hours of the day straightening-up our home and then cleaning every surface. Instead of letting it all pile up, strive to be a proactive cleaner this year by checking off one cleaning item each day. And if you have a family, be sure to get them involved too. Here are some clever cleaning tips:
- Use a coffee filter to dust; it’s perfect for cleaning TV screens and computer monitors.
- Easily pick up pet fur by wearing damp rubber gloves and rubbing them over the surface.
- Instead of tossing that used dryer sheet, sprinkle it with a little bit of water and use it to wipe down bathroom surfaces to remove soap residue.
- Use aluminum foil to remove caked-on food from dishes. Caution: Don’t use on coated pans, as it can scratch off coating.
- Use a cut lemon to freshen your garbage disposal.
5. Take a Good Look at Your Mortgage
If you have a home mortgage, take the time to review your current standings on paying off your loan. If feasible, consider paying a little extra on your mortgage payment each month. Doing so can help you pay off your loan faster and decrease the amount of interest paid over the life of the loan. Other things to consider:
- Refinancing your mortgage may allow you to decrease your mortgage payment or lower your interest rate.
- Review your property tax assessment. If your home has declined in value, you may be able to save some money in contesting your property tax assessment.
Posted by Bethani Williams
Bethani works with Ameris Bank Mortgage Services as a marketing specialist. As a previous homeowner, she shares personal stories, providing tips and tricks she has learned along the way.
The information voiced in this material is for general information and is not intended to provide specific advice or recommendations for any individual.